The Standard Horizon GX1700W GPS VHF Marine Radio is a higher end fixed mount radio with many features. The features include a 12 channel GPS, DSC calling, navigation, and a compact size with only 3.5in. depth making installation in tight places very easy. Over 100 waypoints can also be stored in the radio. This is an ideal radio for the serious boater who wants a high end radio with plenty of features in a small package. Please note that this radio does need an antenna; which is sold separately.
Let's take a look at some of the main features of this radio.
Ultra Thin and Compact Rear Case Design
This radio has a beautiful, bright easy to read display with plenty of information on it. But you should also know that the depth of this radio is only 3.5".
Built in GPS
Not only this fixed mount radio has a built in GPS but the GPS antenna is located at the front panel, allowing you to use brackets or flush mount and not worry about covering GPS antenna. You may also connect external GPS antenna using NMEA 0183 output.
One of the benefits of having a higher end marine radio is the ability to save waypoints and navigate to them using GPS compass. Standard Horizon GX1700 can save up to 100 waypoints. Built in display allows you to select COMPASS, WAYPOINT or GPS STATUS from the menu.
Class D DSC
GX1700 and GX1600 have VHF/FM marine transceivers are capable of ITU 493-13 DSC Class D operation. What does it mean? This means that you can continuously receive DSC functions (digital selective calling) on channel 70 even if you are are on another call. Why would you need a DSC? It allows you no send/receive distress, urgency, safety, position info and routine to and from other vessels equipped with a DSC transceiver.
There is a lot of background noise on a boat - engine, wind, etc. GX1700 features a built in noise reduction technology - Clear Voice Noise Reduction, which helps eliminate those unwanted background noises.
Some of the features include:
- Integrated 12 Channel WAAS GPS receiver
- 25 Watts
- GPS antenna built-in to the front panel allows reception when bracket or flush mounted
- Ultra thin and compact rear case design (3.5” depth)
- Meets ITU-R M493-13 Class D DSC (Digital Selective Calling)
- Automatically poll the GPS position of up to 4 ships using DSC
- Programmable Scan, Priority Scan, and Dual Watch
- Submersible JIS-8 1.5M (4.92Ft) for 30 minutes
- Oversized display with customizable channel names
- Capable of connecting to a Second Station RAM3+ Remote Access Microphone
- Intercom between radio and Second Station RAM3+ Remote Access Microphone
- 3 Year Waterproof Warranty
- Dimensions - 5.9 inches, 3.4 inches, 3.6 inches
But what do actual users say about this radio? Are they actually happy with their purchase? Let’s find out the pros, cons and what reviewers are saying about this radio. Below are the most common pros and cons that people have stated in their reviews on Amazon.
- 4.3 out of 5 Stars
- 77 Total Customer reviews
- 81% of Customers Rated the Radio 5 Stars
- Large Easy to Read Display that is bright
- DSS with GPS built in is great
- Very well made
- Some people has expirenced issues with the radio not working after getting wet
- Without the seperate antenna the radio has zero range
If you have bought or used this radio please feel free to leave a comment with your experience below to help others who may have questions.