Just like the Standard Horizon GX2200, this is a full featured VHF two way marine radio with integrated AIS receiver and NMEA 2000 connectivity. Large 3.4″ LCD display is great for viewing AIS vessel traffic information, GPS and radio menus. The radio has the NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183 network connectivity. Voice communications are top notch with the help of active noise cancelling and you also have the ability to record last 2 minutes of incoming communications.
ICOM M506 has received the NMEA Best VHF Marine Radio Product Award 3 years in a row 2014-2016.
Some of the features include:
- Integrated AIS Receiver with Plotter, Target list and Danger list.
- NMEA 2000 Connectivity plug-and-play plus NMEA 0183 GPS data conversion
- Last Call Voice Recording
- Active Noise Cancelling
- 25 Watt Two-Way Hailer
- Built-in Horn (4 horn patters)
- Built-in DSC with Class D receiver
- IPX8 Submersible (up to 60 minutes underwater, 1m)
- 15Watt audio output
- Weather channels with alerts
- AquaQuake water draining
- 3 year waterproof factory warranty
But what do actual users say about this radio? Are they actually happy with their purchase? Let’s find out the pros, cons and what reviewers are saying about this radio. Below are the most common pros and cons that people have stated in their reviews on Amazon.
- 5 out of 5 Stars
- 6 Total Customer reviews
- 100% of Customers Rated the Radio 5 Stars
- Large Easy to Read Display
- AIS functionality
- User friendly menu
- GPS support only over NMEA 0183 interface